Friday, November 23, 2018

Aging Disadvantage

by Hans G Baldung
The Ages and Death by Hans G Baldung
You might notice that in my racial template for Orcs, one of the racial disadvantages for orcs was Short Lifespan 1 (B154). Each level of Short Lifespan halves the time until a sapient reaches an aging threshold (instead of 50, GURPS considers you middle-aged at 25) and the aging increments (better make those HT rolls every six months instead of every year, you decrepit 26 year-old!), and it's a pretty hefty disadvantage, coming in at -10/level. Maturation also comes in faster (I'd said that orcs are adults at 9, but really, it should be 7.5 or 8).
One of my players decided to play an older orc who's 'seen some shit' and I informed him about the aging rolls. He thought that being an older orc was important to his character concept. Seems fine, right? Well, when six months should've rolled by, I never made him make those HT rolls to see if any of his stats drop. It seemed a little arbitrary to me that this character in particular had to make aging rolls while no one else did. Nothing on his character sheet dictated it, not even a quirk. The only thing is that the age might be seen as a 0-Feature, but that didn't seem like it was enough for me. I decided that I wanted characters to sell me their aging rolls, that that seemed to be fairer to me. So I made the disadvantage below for my future games.

The cost of the disadvantage depends on how frequent aging is. The first scheme is that each level costs -1/level. The second scheme is that the points increase with the greater age as such: -1/-3/-6. If unsure whether game time will speed by quickly, refer to Tech Level and how it modifies aging rolls. If the TL is TL 4+ or TL 5+, use the first scheme. If the TL is TL 3 or less, use the second scheme.

To help me justify asking you to make aging rolls, older age is now a disadvantage. It can be taken in three levels. With Aging 1, you are between the ages of 50 and 69 (age once each year). With Aging 2, you are between the ages 70 and 89 (age twice each year). With Aging 3, you are at least 90 years old (age every three months). While aging is particularly terrifying, I’ve kept it at a pseudo-quirk level since aging rolls will rarely come into play. See B444 for more information.
Aging is compatible with Short Lifespan and Extended Lifespan. Adjust the aging thresholds and increments -- there is no change in cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Carrot Launcher (Large Carrot-Shooting Revolving Rifle)

This is probably going to be a bit of a strange, cutsie little post. I just posted it on my Mastodon and figured that I may as well also sha...