Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The Orc's Code of Honor

I gave the PCs this mandatory disadvantage. It’s a pretty brutal disadvantage, worth -15 points. The PCs, at times, have used this disadvantage to point out where other orc NPCs have dishonored themselves when I myself forwent the disadvantage (to my chagrin). I should point out that I was heavily inspired by Bill Roper and Stu Venable from the Happy Jack’s RPG Podcast as they described their own college-era GURPS game. The disadvantage explains why orcs are often quick to combat and rarely flee. It's not because they're stupid swine-men, but because they take their honor seriously and trust in the angels of Gruumsh to carry their souls to Paradise. Dying in battle is the highest honor an orc can claim (besides dying in battle as an Orc Chieftain).


Orcs have a rigorous code of honor by which all orcs are held to and measured. Those orcs which don’t hold to this code of honor are seen as cowardly and weak (represented by a reputation of cowardice and eventually, if nothing is done, a social stigma (either disowned or second-class citizen)). Often other orcs will antagonize and seek to enslave these “honorless” orcs (Social Stigma Valuable Property). The Orc’s Code of Honor is as follows:

  • An honorable orc never abandons a fellow orc in battle.
  • An honorable orc never surrenders or retreats.
  • An honorable orc never refuses an opportunity to fight.
Among orcs of their own tribe, read "opportunity" of the last item as "challenge."

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Carrot Launcher (Large Carrot-Shooting Revolving Rifle)

This is probably going to be a bit of a strange, cutsie little post. I just posted it on my Mastodon and figured that I may as well also sha...