Sunday, September 16, 2018

Campaign and Adventure Outline Documents

From when I first started GMing until now I have been trying to find the best way to categorize information for myself. I am still slowly striving for a better way to categorize this information. To begin with, I would always have two documents: one for the campaign and its adventures and another for the setting information (including most NPCs, information about towns and wildernesses, etc). When I first started making outlines it was based off of the first modules that I was using, which amounted to bullet points within bullet points in Evernote. Here's an example of what that looked like:
[Encounter Title] (Type of Encounter, CR + remaining XP) [Encounter Synopsis] Flavor Text[description for players]CreaturesTacticsDevelopmentTreasure
Obviously this is from when I was running Pathfinder. A bullet-point list with this information is obviously very good for a dungeon, especially if made into a numbered list to match the numbers given the rooms of a dungeon. The breakdown of the encounter into these parts of Description,Creatures, Development, and Treasure was something I appropriated from a Paizo D&D 3.5 adventure (from the Falcon's Hollow series).
After I finished running Pathfinder, I switched from bullet-points to broader, more narrative outlines. GURPS didn't really need so much of the number crunching of encounter design as D&D does (unless I feel like exactly calculating the adversaries of the Party, which I sometimes do just to make it fairer). GURPS especially doesn't require so much of a focus on doling out treasure -- wealth isn't so tied to character progression as it is in D&D. 
Part of what helped me in outlining my campaigns and my campaign information was the Dungeon Master's Design Kit from AD&D 1e. I recommend that any fantasy GM flip through it. That book certainly provided me with an idea of how I may want to organize information for my campaigns. The principle of the bullet-points remain, however. The way that I categorize my information from adventure to adventure is by headings. I have two top-tier headings: the first for broader campaign information adn the second for individual adventures and plot threads within the campaign. NPCs, campaign and PC information, and plot and meta-plot ideas go in the first section, while plot thread-specific NPCs, mooks, and events and encounters are listed in the second section. What I have so far developed as served me well so far; although it has become more and more difficult to discern where exactly some information should go as things become more fluid.
Here are my two Google Docs that facilitate this strategy: The Campaign Document Outline and The Adventure Outline. For ease in creating an adventure, I can simply copy/paste the Adventure Outline directly into the Campaign Document. Once my campaign "An Orc's Lot" finishes up, I'll share a couple copies of the outline that I've made. I should note that I don't always put all the information on those, for already having the information in mind ready to spring at the opportune moment or hand-written in a notebook dedicated to the campaign. If the reader has any questions, please don't hesitate to share them in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Carrot Launcher (Large Carrot-Shooting Revolving Rifle)

This is probably going to be a bit of a strange, cutsie little post. I just posted it on my Mastodon and figured that I may as well also sha...